Gel Nails have become the latest and a more natural alternative to acrylic nails as they do not cause any damage to your real nails. Also, gel nails dry instantaneously and lift less when compared to acrylics. Gel nails can also be used to strengthen your natural nails by applying them as a base coat.
The increasing popularity gel nails have been receiving universally has tempted many to try it out themselves. Gel nail styles have been so exotic and multifarious that it surely entices many to embellish their nails with the new gel fashion fad.
If you are looking to enhance your nail beauty through gel nails by doing it yourself, it is important to understand their application to prevent any harm to your nails. Being the hottest in the nail beauty segment, gel nails are yet to be completely understood and applied correctly. One must not confuse gel with acrylic. Though gel and acrylics are both of the acrylic category and are prepared using the same type of acrylics, they differ in their application. This is primarily because both are made using different procedures, curing techniques, molecular structures, etc.
Here are some basic instructions that will guide you on applying nail gels correctly and professionally without cutting corners.
1) First, if you have any natural shine on your nails, then buff your nails to remove it. Once done, apply one coat of primer and let it dry completely.
2) Take the gel brush and apply the nail gel on your nail, brushing a thin layer starting from your cuticle to your nail tip. The application motion should be similar to applying nail polish. Make sure that the brush hairs don’t come out while applying the gel. If they do, it means you are putting too much of pressure which must be avoided.
3) Once the gel is brushed on your nails, put your hands under a UV light for one to three minutes till the gel dries completely.
4) Now brush on another coat of nail gel as explained in step 2. However, make sure a drop of gel forms on your nail and then slowly spread it on your entire nail.
5) Once again put your hands under the UV light to dry the gel.
6) Perform the procedure again for the 3rd time. This time spread the gel to get an even gel-like uniformity. Once again put your hands under the UV light for drying.
7) Once the gel is completely dried, file your nails to the shape you desire.
In the process of gel nail application, be careful that the gel does not come in contact with your skin as this will cause your nails to lift later. Also, do not apply the gel in excess as this will cause air bubbles to form or lead to uneven curing.
Applying gel nails may appear very simple but it’s not when it comes to doing it yourself. Therefore, it is recommended that you get your gel nails done by a professional nail artist or a nail salon that specializes in it and can do it the right way.
Once you are comfortable with it and are confident of doing it yourself after having it done through a professional, you can try it out yourself next time.